Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Let me let go

I've been accused of always having to have it "my way". I don't think that's true at all. I think I try to be logical about things and try to go with what seems to be the reasonable choice. However, the "reasonable choice" isn't always what everyone else may want or need.

She wants to move out of the state. She wants to go a year and a half before me and get everything settled so that I can stay behind and let the kid finish school and grow up around his family and friends and whatnot. I asked for a compromise for her to wait a year or two, but she says that she can't do it. I have to respect that. What else can I do?It hasn't sunk in quite yet. I was almost in tears telling her that it would have to be okay and trying to figure out in my head how I was going to survive this without her. I'm still not grasping it. Knowing me, I'll grasp it 30 seconds after she leaves.

We have time; She's not leaving for quite some time yet...maybe 6 months. I just don't want to have to go through the agony of planning for her to leave. It's like helping someone plan their funeral while they're still alive. I don't know how else to explain it or anything else to compare it to.The irony is that it feels like I'm the one who's dying. I have to act like I'm pretty okay with all of this. Otherwise, it will stress her out even more. I can do this. I'll develop a mantra to get through it.

It's like trying to visualize Mount Everest when you've never been there. It's just a concept I can't even grasp.

No comments: